Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Joanne's BBQ

beef, turkey, or pork!

This recipe came from my aunt and Godmother Joanne. Once I got hold of and made this recipe, it became one of our favorites. My aunt Joanne was a very good cook and knew how to feed lots of people…as she often did while she and her husband, Bob, enjoyed many summers out on their house boat on the Mississippi River. On their boat I recall eating good food, sneaking lots of treats from her bottomless candy jar, drinking many "pops" (sodas), steering the boat while Bob visited with everyone, floating on an intertube tied to the back of the boat, and getting buried up to my neck in the sand on Nine-Mile Island! My five crazy cousins took me skiing in the calm tributaries along the river. I loved watching my cousin, Tony, ski since he’d go by people he knew on boats and spray them. I also recall him skiing off the back of Bob’s house boat…just to see if it would pull him. It sure did!

4 lbs. *cooked roast (shoulder roast works well), brisket, or turkey breast; shredded

*OVEN: Cook roast at 350 degrees for about 3 hours with a couple of inches of water in a covered pan. Shred meat with two forks while it’s still hot/warm.
*CROCK POT: Slice onion, place on bottom of crock pot; cut meat into a few pieces, place on top of onion; add 3/4 cup water; cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4-5 hours. Shred meat with two forks while it's still hot/warm, discard onion.

Mix and Simmer for ½ hour:
8 oz. ketchup
8 oz. hickory barbeque sauce
1 cup water (or broth)
½ cup lemon juice
½ cup brown sugar
1-1/2 tsp. Worchestershire sauce
1-1/2 TBSP dry mustard

Saute until tender:
1 cup celery, chopped
½ cup onion, chopped
¼ cup butter

Add sautéed veggies to sauce and simmer for another ½ hour. Add meat and heat; serve on buns. Serve with cole slaw or Napa Salad.

Freezes well!