Saturday, April 26, 2008

Linen Spray...or Monster Repellent

Okay, this recipe doesn't fit into any of my edible categories. I'm just adding it since our kids reallllly like it, and, well...it's homemade! When I was running low on my regular linen spray I use for ironing, I thought I'd find out how to make my own. Well, there are lots of recipes online just waiting for you to find them. The only real trick is to get just the right scent. I'd advise anyone to start out with a small quantity so you're not stuck for too long with a fragrance that's not up to snuff! This recipe makes less than 2 cups, and the fragrance possibilities are endless.

12 oz. (1-1/2 cups) distilled water
1/4 cup vodka--yep, just the good ole drinkin' kind!
1 tsp. essential oils--you may even want to count individual drops if you're using more than one fragrance
(I used 1/4 tsp. jasmine oil and 3/4 tsp. lemon oil)

Put it all in a clean spray bottle, shake it up each time you use it, and ah...smellllllll!

Jasmine is flowery, so try something else if that's not your thing. Vanilla is ALWAYS good! Just don't use the dark colored oils/extracts--it may stain. In general, lemon or other citrus scents mix well with different fragrances. So go ahead and sniff away at some essential oils in the natural section of your grocery store.

PARENTING BENEFITS:
If you're having trouble getting the kids in their beds at night, spray their sheets and watch them leap!

Use it for toddlers as a "monster repellent". You know, have your kids watch you mix it up, spray it in their room, and let them know it'll keep all bad things away at night! Don't laugh--it works! Mosquito repellent works, doesn't it?